Sovereign Coronation Crostata
This Pie will be great during the holiday season - It’s sweet, colourful and tastes so good. Vieni makes it’s own jam with sovereign coronation grapes picked during the harvest. Visit our tasting room to get a jar to use for this delicious recipe.
You can pair this Crostata with Vieni’s Vidal or Cabernet Ice Wine!
Prep Time – 1 hr 15 min. Cook Time – 35 min
- 2 ½ cups of All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup of Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp of Orange & Lemon Zest
- ¼ tsp of Salt
- ¾ cup of Unsalted Butter
- ¼ cup of Vegetable Shortening
- 3 Egg Yolks
- A few Tablespoons of Ice Water
- 2 cups of Vieni’s Sovereign Coronation Jam
- Egg Wash (1 egg beaten with a tablespoon of water)
- In the bowl of a standing mixer add the flour, orange & lemon zest, salt and sugar and mix until combined.
- Add the butter and shortening and mix until the butter is distributed throughout the dry ingredients.
- Add the egg yolks and mix until the dough starts to come together.
- With the mixer running, add in a tablespoon of ice water until the dough starts coming together well.
- Dump the dough on a floured surface and knead it long enough for it to come together.
- Take 1/3 of the dough and form a small disk and take the remaining dough and form a larger disk. Wrap them both with plastic wrap and pop them in the fridge for about an hour.
- Take the dough out about 10 minutes before you start rolling it. Grease a 9” tart pan with a removable bottom and place it on a baking sheet, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the bigger piece of dough into a 12 inch circle and place it in the tart pan (make sure the sides are over hanging a bit).
- Line the inside of the tart shell with some aluminum foil, fill it with dried beans or pie weights and bake it for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and beans and fill the tart shell with the jam, set aside.
- Roll out the second piece to about a 10" circle and cut outstrips that are about 1/2" wide.
- Brush some egg wash all over the edge and place your strips in a criss cross pattern all over the top and trim off the extra dough.
- Brush the top of the stripes with a bit more egg wash, bake the tart for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow it to cool completely before serving.
- Serve with a glass of Vieni’s Icewine – Enjoy and Merry Christmas!!